When we set up a goal it assigns it as a long term goal, short term goal, or target based on it's parent (or lack of one). For reporting and using in notes and forms templates we would like all data we collect to be targets. Currently we have to put in extra "layers" in the tree to make this happen. This causes extra work for staff and supervisors (to help fix staff errors).
If we could choose the type of goal independent of where we are in the tree, it would make this much simpler.
This is also related to another idea I am going to submit about being able to change the domain of a goal without changing it's parent.